Grant writing is an inherently stressful process. Submitting a grant one minute after the deadline is the equivalent of not submitting at all. For that reason, the personalized research detailed above is essential to making sure that the point of contact and his/her designees have the information they need to quickly make a decision well in advance of the grant deadline. Typically, all grant projects are developed based on a timeline that the client agrees to in advance. To ensure that applications are submitted on time, it is our policy that all grants be submitted at least 24-36 hours in advance of the deadline for electronic submission and at least 48 hours in advance for the submission of a hard copy.
Over time, we have developed a basic process for the timely development and submission of grants. The key to this approach involves the use of benchmarks whereby every party understands what is expected when. Grant preparation services by Community Grants Associates typically involve the following process:
- regular project development meetings
- careful deconstruction of RFP questions;
- content mapping, i.e., the identification of the key content elements that are required in order to prepare a cogent, high scoring response;
- the preparation of multiple draft narratives;
- the development of a budget,
- the completion of forms,
- providing draft letters of support and Memoranda of Understanding as needed
- continual advice and suggestion from Community Grants Associates Staff
- electronic submission of grant
Our experienced staff can also work with funders and representatives from agencies such as grants.gov to not only ensure the timely submission of proposals, but also to deal with any problems or technical issues that may arise. Our staff is trained on how to deal with these problems so that the client is not penalized if a submission cannot take place in a timely manner due to technical problems. Submitting in advance whenever possible leaves room to correct any issue that may arise. In those instances where we must submit quickly, our knowledge and experience with grant writing gives us a unique head start.